4 cups sliced, assorted vegetables (zucchini, broccoli, peas)
1 cup grape or fresh tomatoes, chopped and seeds removed
8 ounces whole-wheat pasta (rotini, bow tie, penne)
1 ½ tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
2 medium garlic cloves, minced or ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
½ cup onion, chopped (about ½ medium onion)
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
¼ cup parmesan cheese
½ shredded mozzarella cheese
- Wash and prepare vegetables.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain water from cooked pasta and save ¼ cup of water.
- Heat oil in a large skillet as pasta cooks. Add garlic and onion to skillet. Saute over medium heat about 1-2 minutes or until soft.
- Add any uncooked hard vegetables and cook for 3 minutes. Add soft vegetables and continue to cook. Add Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Add tomatoes last and cook until warm.
- Add cooked drained pasta to the vegetables. Add a little of the water from the pasta if needed.
- Add cheeses to mixture. Stir until cheese is mostly melted.
- Serve immediately.
Serving size: 1 ½ cups
Nutrition information (per serving):
8 g total fat
2 g saturated fat
10 mg cholesterol
240 mg sodium
35 g total carbohydrate
5 g dietary fiber
5 g sugars
10 g protein